University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
College of Engineering: Academic Advisor - Department of Computer Science
The Department of Computer Science is seeking an Academic Advisor for undergraduate students. Under the supervision of the Director of Undergraduate Programs, the Academic Advisor will assist in undergraduate student advising and administration of the department’s undergraduate programs.
- Advise current and prospective undergraduate computer science students, addressing their concerns and providing information as appropriate according to department, college, and university policies.
- Maintain a familiarity with department, college and university requirements and procedures for undergraduate academic programs.
- Monitor progress and track performance of the programs’ students.
- Identify students enrolled in schedules for which they lack preparation and follow up as necessary.
- Provide documentation for students needing advisor verification (of enrollment, of skills obtained in coursework, for international students accepting offers of internships, etc.).
- Develop new practices for managing the department’s rapidly growing enrollments.
- Provide assistance to the Director of Undergraduate Programs with regard to departmental policies and procedures pertaining to undergraduate programs.
- Assume additional appropriate advising duties to further the mission of the Department.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two years of experience with higher education student services.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with students from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Master’s degree.
- Significant direct undergraduate student advising experience.
- An understanding of university, college, and department procedures related to the administration of undergraduate programs.
The Academic Advisor position is a full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by March 27, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Denise Corray, email@example.com, 217-300-3309.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
CS @ ILLINOIS Fact Sheet [PDF]